Mesa Child Development Center
At the Mesa Child Development Center (MCDC), full-time care is available for children 3 months to 5 years and flexible part-time care is available for children 2½–5 years. Morning, afternoon or extended day options are available, all of which emphasize hands-on, child-driven learning.
- Full-time Programs:
- Infant room (3 months to 2 years)
- Toddler classroom (2–3 years)
- Mixed-aged preschool classroom (3–5 years and potty trained)
- Part-time Program: Mixed-age classroom (2½–5 years and potty-trained)
MCDC opened in 2009 to offer a part-time care option after the UC San Diego International Cooperative School closed after 40 years. Our successful program is constantly evolving to meet the needs of culturally diverse families who come to UC San Diego.
MCDC is inspired by the Reggio Emilia philosophy of education – a way of observing what children know, what they are curious about and what challenges them. Learning is hands-on and child-driven with children initiating their own discovery. Parents are collaborators and teachers are facilitators – both are vital partners in learning with the child.
Staff, parents and children collaborate to help bridge the gaps between family, school and community. We encourage other family members to participate in classroom activities ranging from playing with the children, reading a story, leading an art activity or sharing a skill, talent or something culturally significant to enrich the curriculum.
We strive to build relationships within our community to enrich the children’s educational experience. Our goal is to make connections with other area schools, libraries, senior living centers, stores and other UC San Diego departments to improve the lives of everyone involved.
At MCDC, we also strive to contribute to a bias-free society. We teach children to be world citizens and endeavor to build community and understanding among families of all cultures and backgrounds.
First priority is given to full-time current UC San Diego faculty, staff and students. Community members are welcome pending space availability.
The center offers several schedule options to meet your child’s needs. Additional children from the same family save 10%. Prices are slightly higher for non-UC San Diego affiliates.
Full-time programs: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Infant: $1,725
- Toddler: $1,449
- Preschooler: $1,317
Part-time programs (2 ½ - 5 yrs and potty-trained only): 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
We offer various part-time preschool schedules; extended care is available in the part-time programs (rates vary depending on the schedule).
- 4-hour sessions
- Morning: 8 a.m. – noon
- Afternoon: 12:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- 6-hour sessions: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Full day: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
|Days||4-Hour Sessions||6-Hour Sessions||Full Day|
UC San Diego students may be eligible to receive tuition assistance for child care services through CCAMPIS, a U.S. Department of Education program.
- Infant room: 8 children with 2 teachers and 1 assistant
- Toddler classroom: 15 children with 2 teachers and 1 assistant
- Mixed-aged preschool classroom: 24 children with 2 teachers and 1 assistant
- Mixed age part-time classroom: 24 children with 2 teachers and 1 assistant
Please submit a separate application for each child you wish to enroll either online or by mail. Each application must be accompanied by a $35 check (payable to UC Regents) for the non-refundable processing fee. Application fees can also be paid with a credit/debit card at the center. If your child has not yet reached an eligible enrollment age, you may still apply and have your child placed on a waiting list.
- Online: Complete an online application for each child and mail a $35 check, payable to UC Regents, for the processing fee(s) to the address below.
- By Mail: Call (858) 246-0900 to request a printed application for each child you wish to enroll. Complete the application(s) and mail a check, payable to UC Regents, for the processing fee(s) to:
University of California, San Diego
Mesa Child Development Center
9500 Gilman Drive, Mail Code 0962
La Jolla, CA 92093
If you have questions, contact our enrollment coordinator, Desiree Ferreria.
Tuition can be paid online via credit card using Single Sign-On. You will also need the invoice number and monthly payment amount, which is available on your monthly invoice. If you do not have the invoice available, call our office, (858) 246-0900.